da Vinci® Surgery for Gynecologic Conditions
Many gynecologic conditions are surgically treated. For some, da Vinci surgery is available. da Vinci Surgery provides precise treatment for gynecologic conditions in a minimally invasive fashion – through tiny incisions instead of a long open incision. da Vinci offers several potential benefits compared to open surgery, including:
• Better outcomes, in many cases
• Shorter hospital stay & faster recovery
• Significantly less pain
• Tiny incisions for minimal scarring
For hysterectomies, da Vinci Single-Site surgery is even an option. In this section, you’ll find out more about these services.
Treating Fibroids with da Vinci Surgery
Myomectomy is the surgical removal of fibroid tumors. It preserves the uterus and is an alternative to hysterectomy for women who want to get pregnant. Fibroids are typically located in the uterine wall. They’re not cancerous.
• Up to 1/3 of women get uterine fibroids
• 20-40% of women have fibroids during reproductive years
• 60,000 myomectomy procedures are performed each year in U.S.
• More than 50% are still performed through a large open incision
If you’re deciding on a treatment for a myomectomy for fibroid removal, ask your doctor if da Vinci surgery may be an option.
Treating Uterine Prolapse with da Vinci Surgery
Sacrocolpopexy is the surgical correction of vaginal and uterine prolapse (falling) using mesh to hold the vagina or uterus in the correct position. Prolapse happens more often in women who have had multiple children, large babies or who engage in strenuous physical labor.
• An estimated 30,000+ women have a sacrocolpopexy each year in the U.S.
• More than 50% of women still have sacrocolpopexy using traditional surgery, requiring a large abdominal incision
If you’re deciding on a treatment for a sacrocolcopexy, ask your doctor if da Vinci surgery may be an option.