Whether you are newly diagnosed or have been dealing with diabetes for years, proper management of the disease is essential to your health. Certified Diabetes Educators, who are Registered Nurses, meet with patients on a one-on-one basis to educate newly diagnosed diabetics and help those who need assistance with diabetes self-management. Mercy Health System’s Diabetes Education Programs are recognized by the American Diabetes Association.
Benefits of Diabetes Education
Diabetes education can have a wide range of positive effects, including fewer hospitalizations and reduced medical costs.
Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital
Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital offers a dually-accredited Diabetes Self-Management Education program designed to help you successfully manage all aspects of diabetes, including:
• Monitoring diabetes
• Healthy coping
• Nutritional management
• Gestational diabetes management
• Disease process
• Physical activity
• Goal setting/problem solving
• Preventing, detecting and treating acute complications
• Preventing, detecting and treating chronic complications
Diabetes Self-Management Education classes are held weekly. To sign up or for more information, call the Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital Diabetes Hotline at 610.237.4192.
Mercy Philadelphia Hospital
Mercy Philadelphia Hospital's Diabetes Education Program offers individuals with diabetes support and help in managing the disease and living a healthy lifestyle, including:
- Insulin Instruction
- Comprehensive Diabetes Management
- Stress Management
- Warning Signs of Other Diabetes-related Problems
- Eye & Foot Care
- Self Glucose Monitoring
- Side Effects of Medication
- Management of Sick Days
- Achieving and Maintaining Positive Thinking
- Coping Mechanisms
- Nutrition Counseling
To participate in the Mercy Philadelphia Hospital Diabetes Education Classes, patients have to be referred by a doctor.
Nazareth Hospital provides Diabetes Education through ABC Diabetes, which includes classes focusing on real-life situations. Topics addressed include:
- What is Diabetes?
- Medication Management
- Blood Sugar Highs and Lows
- Using Blood Sugar Tests to Monitor Trends and Problem Solve
- What’s in My Food?
- Individualized Meal Planning
- Eating Out, Food Labels and Alcohol
- Physical Activity
- Staying Healthy
- Stress and Stress Management
- Latest Treatment Options
Nazareth Hospital’s Diabetes Education Program is run by ABC Diabetes. To find a class that is convenient or to register, please call 215.283.2833.