Mitral Regurgitation Prevalence Increases with Age
Only 1 in 40 patients with moderate or severe mitral regurgitation are surgically treated.
AHA/ACC guidelines for timing of surgery in patients with severe mitral regurgitation include:
- Asymptomatic patients with early LV dysfunction (EF 50-60% or LVESD ≥ 40 mm)
- Pulmonary Hypertension (>50 mm), even if asymptomatic
- New onset atrial fibrillation, even if asymptomatic
- Asymptomatic normal left ventricular function patient in whom repair may not be feasible
- Symptomatic severe left ventricular dysfunction (EF < 30%) patient with secondary MR