How to Apply for the General Surgery Residency
The General Surgery Residency Program at Mercy Catholic Medical Center (MCMC) participates in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) program for the residency application process.
All applications must be made through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Applications received by fax, email or mail will not be accepted.
Preliminary NRMP Number
Applications are accepted through ERAS only (no paper applications).
- Completed ERAS Application Form
- Curriculum Vitae
- Dean's Letter
- Medical School Transcript
- Personal Statement
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
- Successful completion on first attempts of both Steps I, II & II CS-USMLE or COMLEX
- Clinical Experience (continuous clinical experience since medical school graduation; observerships/externships are not considered clinical experience). If you have completed an internship, please indicate in experience.
- All residency candidates must fulfill Mercy Catholic Medical Center Employment Requirements.
- International Medical Graduates: There are no specific core requirements (see below).
Institutional Policy on VISA Status
MCMC accepts J1, H1B and EADs as indicated below:
- J1 Visas: Mercy Catholic Medical Center sponsors J1 Visas through ECFMG for applicants who are eligible for appointment to a residency position.
ERAS applications will be reviewed by the Selection Committee and are based on academic performance, passing USMLE/COMLEX I, II & CS scores on first attempt and letters of recommendation. An invitation for an interview will be extended by e-mail to qualified applicants. Interviews begin in November and continue through January.
International Medical Graduates