Lifesaving options for lung cancer and other thoracic cancers
Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital’s thoracic cancer team provides personalized care and access to high-quality treatment for lung cancer and other cancers of the chest area.
An expert group of pulmonologists, medical and radiation oncologists, thoracic surgeons, radiologists and pathologists work to develop the best treatment plan for each patient in a pleasant, nurturing environment.
“We are a very user-friendly hospital,” says José March Maquilan, MD, FACS, a thoracic surgeon at Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital. “Our highly qualified staff works as a team to ensure an accurate diagnosis and the most effective plan of treatment for each patient.”
The team specializes in diagnosing and treating cancers of the lung, trachea, esophagus, thymus gland and mediastinum (area between the lungs). An affiliation with the Jefferson Kimmel Cancer Network means that patients have access to revolutionary diagnostic and treatment options.
Available screenings and treatment
- Chest X-ray
- High-resolution CT (computerized tomography) scan
- PET (positron emission tomography) scan
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan
- Fine-needle aspiration
- Lymph node biopsy
- Esophageal ultrasound
- Lung resection
- Lobectomy, segmentectomy or wedge excision biopsy
- Pericardial window and drainage
- Radiation therapy
- Video-assisted thorascopic surgery (VATS)
- Image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT)
- Removal of the thymus gland