Cardiac catheterization is used to diagnose and treat coronary artery, heart valve and heart muscle problems and Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD).
Cardiac catheterization labs are available 24/7. Advanced technology helps our team evaluate high-quality images of blood vessels to treat patients suffering from blockages in their arteries.
Catheterization Lab procedures include:
- Diagnostic cardiac catheterization
- Coronary interventions including balloon angioplasty and intracoronary stents
- Directional coronary atherectomy
- Diagnostic and therapeutic peripheral vascular studies to evaluate and treat PAD
- Catheter-based ablation procedures for treatment of abnormal heart rhythms
Doctors may recommend cardiac catheterization for various reasons. The most common reason is to evaluate chest pain.
Chest pain, sometimes referred to as angina, might be a symptom of coronary artery disease. Cardiac catheterization can show whether plaque is narrowing or blocking your coronary arteries
Most people who have heart attacks have narrow or blocked coronary arteries. Cardiac catheterization might be used as an emergency procedure to treat a heart attack. When used with angioplasty, the procedure allows your doctor to open up blocked arteries and prevent further damage to the heart.
Cardiac catheterization also can help your doctor figure out the best treatment plan for you if:
- You recently recovered from a heart attack, but are having chest pain
- You had a heart attack that caused major heart damage
- You had an EKG (electrocardiogram), stress test, or other test with results that suggested heart disease
Nazareth Hospital has received PCI Program Accreditation from Corazon and the Pennsylvania Department of Health. For you, this means our heart care programs meet the highest standards for quality.
Nazareth Hospital and St. Mary Heart & Vascular have partnered to provide you with a comprehensive range of heart and vascular care options, right in your community. This partnership will give you access to the sophisticated cardiac programs and expert interventional cardiologists at both Nazareth Hospital and St. Mary Medical Center.
Get Specialized Heart Care at Mercy
For a referral to a Mercy cardiologist or heart surgeon, visit our Find a Physician tool, or call 1.877.GO MERCY (1.877.466.3729).